Hispanic Heritage Month Feature: Selene Rios
Q&A WITH Selene Rios
In recognition of Hispanic Heritage Month, Education Abroad is featuring our Hispanic/Latinx study abroad alumni and sharing their stories and experiences with the UNC Charlotte community.
Meet our first student!
Senior, Finance Major
- Why did you choose to study abroad? A new experience was needed in my life, I wanted to know how to immerse oneself into a different county and culture.
- Where did you study abroad and what program? Paris, France. The Spring Break French Civilization in Paris program (a faculty led program led by Professor Jane Houston)
- Did your personal identity impact your choice of program and/or study abroad location? Yes, I had looked at different programs and was looking for something exciting and more towards my likes.
- How would you describe your overall experience abroad? It was the most wonderful experience in my life!
- Did you experience any challenges connected to your personal identity while abroad? No, just a language barrier.
- Do you have any advice for other Hispanic/Latinx students considering study abroad? Do it! The experience is like no other, especially when traveling with other students you learn a lot from each other. You also get to teach others and explain one’s way of life, show how we are different and the struggles that we have.
- Anything else you would like to share? If possible, do it often! Apply for scholarships to be able to study abroad.